View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Keep strong!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 343v343 View Post
Thanks everyone for the input, honesty, and candor. It helps to have a dose of reality along with some honest feedback. The last few months since April have been quite challenging. I have honestly not cried so much since I was a kid. I am not even one year into a marriage and my poor wife has had to see her husband go from a man with a promising career to a person who is uncertain of whether or not I can even work tomorrow. It's been hard on me physically, emotionally, and mentally.

I have been through hell to even arrive at a diagnosis and I have had weeks where "experts" led me to believe I have had MS, ALS, And the latest CIPD. Its been a roller coaster where at times I feel cursed and lucky to have ToS. Not the first year of marriage you see on tv or movies.

I feel 98% confident I have TOS with anterior scalene involvement and perhaps even slight pec minor involvement. I have exhausted my traditional means of PT and have seen 3 neurologists, a vascular surgeon, 2 chiropractors, and loads of other experts.

I have been suffering with this progressively for about 6 mos. and I am not seeing much progress. Not sure what to really do next, where to turn or what to try next. I know I am sitting on a ticking time bomb though which horrifies me.

• I don't have disability as I am self employed. So it's all or none and either I work or bring in zero income.

• surgeon I saw seems to think being an active and fit male my chances are greater for successful surgery but seems like load of crap. Especially if I go back to existing career which would likely create scar tissue.

• There is an egoscue clinic near me, have considered an evaluation. But it is not cheap. 2K for 8 sessions which I am not sure is money well spent.

• have reduced my hours to bare minimum with little change or effect.

Not sure if I gamble on surgery, take my chances on more conservative treatment, wait it out another 6 mos ?? Quit my job and go work at Starbucks? Become homeless ?? This is a tough call for me...

In a matter of months I went from being an active fit person with a lucrative computer business to someone who wonders how they will make the mortgage. I know many have it similar or worse. Just so sad and unfair for all of us.

I find myself looking at people with horrible posture and resenting them because I have TOS and they seemingly don't. Not a good emotional space.
KEEP STRONG!!!!!!! 343v343,
Neurological symptoms can and do subside. Remember that surgery is LAST resort. You can get through this.
Life changes are key however. Gently stretch those b******d muscles. You can get release. You have to make sure that you incorporate a relaxation/stretch routine into your day to focus on your trouble area. And most importantly to keep it going even if you feel ok.
If I stop stretching they very quickly tighten up or go into a spasms. POSTURE...... Yeah, I hear yah. Why is it that some people are totally hunched over but painfree??????
TOS is your own personal battle, its how you tackle it that makes the difference. Be considerate to yourself and you can get the better of it! If you stop nurturing yourself- Stretches/ meditation/ Belly Breathing/ self massage etc... Whatever works for you, then yes TOS will take over.
Look after yourself first before others....if you don't than you will be no good to them anyway!

POSITIVE. You CAN do it!!!!! We ALL can.

Last edited by SD38; 10-02-2011 at 07:07 AM. Reason: additional/changing info
SD38 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MarcS (10-02-2011)