View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 11:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToBlog View Post
I had this surgery (L5 S1) a year ago and since then have had these unpleasant sensations that you all describe: pressure in the ears and temples, a lot of ringing in the head. Once the sensations were so strong, I passed out for 5-6 seconds. Several times mentioned these symptoms to both my GP and my neurosurgeon and they wouldn't say anything. Finally, last week when I had a post-surgery MRI they saw a big (tennis ball size) mass between my spine and the muscles... Now I need to schedule a surgery for the leak. I'm really concerned now not to have it again as I don't even know why I had it in the first place. Some people mentioned caffeine here. Does it really help? I thought I didn't strain myself and didn't lift any heavy things after the surgery, and I still had the leak...
Hi, Im so sorry to hear your story, it sounds almost identical to mine! I too had surgery L5/S1, during which I had a dural tear, a week later I had a massive CSF leak, and was rushed back into hospital in and out of conciousness. They repaired the leak a few days later but during surgery I contracted meningitis. 2 days later a further massive CSF leak from the repair site. but they could not operate until the meningitis was treated. Finally after 12 day they operated again to repair the leak a second time. I was in hospital 3 months in total and then sent home on bed rest. 3 days later I had what I believe to be another leak although this time the fluid wasnt actually leaving my body. It just accumilated in the back space to a size of a grapefruit. I was told there wass nothing they could do and stay on bed rest. This all happened in Sept 2007. I believe I am still leaking but am really at the end of my tether trying to get someone to believe me. I have had a radionucleotide cisternography in 2008 which showed a leak after 48 hours but still no one believes me. I am now living with the diagnosis of 'migraines'! I am trying to get a referral to see Dr Linda Gray or Dr Schievink through the British National Health service. Long battle I think but I wont give up. I so hope that you get healed and sealed and if you can see either of these doctors then that would be the best thing you could do in my opinion. Good luck I really wish you the best x
hemyinspain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote