View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Positive ANA

Hi

I was just reviewing Alan's blood tests. (many of them).

He always tested POSITIVE.

For YEARS.

I remember asking various doctors about this and they all said "we tested him for Lupus, he doesn't have Lupus, it's a false negative. Alan is 64 years old.

So last week he got a blood test result report again and I was on the phone with his doctor and I said 'What is this positive ANA thing?" and he said 'That's a false positive, we have tested him for Lupus (and he has been tested for Lyme (I remember they gave him every test in the book years ago) and he came back (as the same but they don't know why).

I just read this on the internet when I googled ANA positive I got this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

A positive ANA test result may suggest an autoimmune disease, but further specific testing is required to assist in making a final diagnosis. ANA test results can be positive in people without any known autoimmune disease. While this is not common, the frequency of a false positive ANA result increases as people get older.

Also, ANA may become positive before signs and symptoms of an autoimmune disease develop, so it may take time to tell the meaning of a positive ANA in a person who does not have symptoms. Most positive ANA results don't have significance, so physicians should reassure their patients but should also still be vigilant for development of signs and symptoms that might suggest an autoimmune disease.

About 95% of those with SLE have a positive ANA test result. If someone also has symptoms of SLE, such as arthritis, a rash, and autoimmune thrombocytopenia, then she probably has SLE. In cases such as these, a positive ANA result can be useful to support SLE diagnosis. Two subset tests for specific types of autoantibodies, such as anti-dsDNA and anti-SM, may be ordered (often as an ENA panel) to help confirm that the condition is SLE.

------------------------------------------------------------------

So do I need to ask his doctor to run more tests (I mean, we don't know what he has right?)

Are there other tests (because this is now 2011 and they have BETTER screening tests right??)

Appreciate any info.

Thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote