Thread: Athletes
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 10:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeback_kid_11 View Post
I was wondering if there are any other athletes out there who have been sidelined from their favorite sport and want to share their story.
I am a former endurance athlete (marathoner, ultra runner, multiple Ironman finishes) and 2 years ago at my last marathon I pushed my body to severe dehydration. Was standing around post-finish and due to low blood volume due to the dehydration and dialated blood vessels in my legs, blood pooled down there, and couldn't get back up to my head. Syncope resulted.

I was unconscious before I hit the ground. My concussion. Symptoms cleared up with a few months and I was out running again with zero issues.

Unfortunately, I also had a major surgery 6 months after that concussion that may have been in factor in a relapse of symptoms. So, for the past 2 years I haven't been able to do anything as it would cause severe exertion headaches.

Yesterday, I rode in the Tour de Scottsdale. Albiet, I had to premedicate with Amerge a couple of hours before, I was able to push my 'out of fitness' butt around a bike course. I was so happy!

I have been there in the past few years, frustrated with the loss of my former self, loss of my personal connection to my healthy self, and not having any of my 'friends' understand what this meant to me.

I am blessed with a wonderful wife and a young daughter who understand why I miss running. Practicing patience during this time has been tough, especially during the earlier period post-surgery when there were cognitive issues, dizziness, anxiety beyond what I thought people normally endure.

Knowing what concussion means, gives me a dose of patience and understanding to know what we are all going thru. I think the Nortriptyline in the past couple of years helped out tremendously with keeping me calm and allowing my brain to heal.

Keep with the advice our members tout with keeping your body healthy, keeping your spirit/soul calm and centered. Try to find patience and acceptance. I am still trying to learn these traits.

Mike
PCS Mikey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote