View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 03:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I too, was labeled with AN when the neuro found out I had been a musician and played in bars for over 25 yrs- and drank alcohol.

Finally I was self medicating my unknown PN with alcohol (due to a PCP who was clueless, and thought my pain was in my head and discounted me & had me treated as a psycho) and wound up in the hospital with a pancreas problem. My pain preceded my alcoholic over-indulgence.

I always was well fed and never had any imbalances because of improper diet, but went on a severe B12 treatment after being finally diagnosed with PN, while I was in that hospital.
But the monnicker sticks, and its in my file as the cause of my PN- while I seriously disagree with the file.

I've been known to disagree with docs and have fired a few who weren't flexible enough to see my point of view. I've agreed to have it noted that we both agree to disagree, but to have a doc sit on a high horse and expect his word to be the word of God - and final- sees the back of my trousers going out the door.....forever! (and I don't mind if the door hits me in my 'keyster' in my rush to be on the way out). He gets no more of my money (or my insurance $$).

Don't be guilty about it.

Just treat it and try to make the symptoms reduce to a point where its livable and your life is as normal as possible.
But future use of booze in any amounts, can affect PN 'flares' and cause permanent deterioration of nerve sheath myelin.