Old 10-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
Melody,

I have seen some of your posts and videos from PN meetings, but don't know much about Alan's diagnosis or symptoms. But I can say that Lupus is certainly not the only autoimmune disease associated with a positive ANA. So a work up beyond lupus should be done. As Glenn says, more detailed info about the results of his test...as in how high the level was and what pattern (speckled, double banded, etc) would be helpful.

Are there specific symptoms he has that you have no explanation for that you think might be autoimmune?

Of course, PN is associated with some autoimmune conditions. Do you have a diagnosis for his PN? Or is it idiopathic?

It is definitely possible to be sero-negative (no positive blood work) with an autoimmune disease. Blood tests for AI disease are more for 'markers' of the disease, not ones showing an active disease process. Actually, almost 40% of Sjogren's patients are sero-negative. I am one and was diagnosed by salivary gland biopsy. Sometimes blood markers turn positive years after diagnosis, sometime they don't.

That said, anytime a positive ANA appears, ALL autoimmune conditions should be explored, if the patient is experiencing any unexplained symptoms.

It's best to know 'what' tests were run and the results. Extensive to one doctor may not be extensive to another.

HI. Alan has idiopathic PN. No other symtoms. He's been tested for everything under the sun. He does have psoriasis.

Very frustrating.

Thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote