View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklass View Post
I tried to see if this had already been addressed, and I am sure it probably has, but I couldn't find it the first try. My question is have any of you been put under for something like a dental cleaning? I am due for mine, and I have Sjogren's Syndrome, so regular cleanings are important. I intend on waiting to see if my meds. help more with the pain (I am new), but if they do not, I am concerned about what to do for dental cleanings. My teeth were sensitive before, I cannot even imagine what getting dental cleanings would be like now. Personal experience? Suggestions?
My yearly cleaning involves the use of nitrous oxide and topical anesthetics. At this time and for the last couple of years, I only do one cleaning a year as its all I can take. I do load up on meds a couple of days ahead of time and the morning of my appointment. In the interim, I use toothpastes for sensitive teeth and flouride rinses, such as Act. I also use a surgical tooth brush that is softer than anything available in stores and soak it in hot water before using. My periodontist gives them to me. I don't currently have any gum disease, but I'm at risk for it because of all this. This last go around, they gave me some disolvable pills that increase the flow of saliva as one of my medications is causing dry mouth and that further increases the risk. They didn't tell me the name of these things, but they do seem to be working. Biotene also makes several products which do the same thing and they are available over the counter.
EE03 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote