View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 05:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default metformin is torturing me

Hi, Im a member here for over 2 years after being diagnoses with MG.

I recently started a drug called cellcept, and thought it was a cause for my sugar spiking, but I had noone to blame except myself.
Ive been overweight, morbidly obese as my doctor says(about 350 lbs) and he has warned me for 2 years Im prediabetic to watch, but Ive always been a big child, and this was no different, so Im paying the price I guess.

First week sept, I wasnt feeling right. Iwent to the doctor sept 6th and my sugar was 256 after only one cup of morning coffee without sugar.
I was sent to nutritionist and put on metformin.
IN one month, I lost 30 lbs, and I was feeling good on a high fibre diet. Ive never slept so well, and forcing myself to eat more fruit and veggies along with some protein each meal gave me more energy.

I decided, hey, I have to grow up and toss the five guy burger dinners.

But around 7-9 days ago, I started with cramping and bathroom runs.Constant bathroom runs. Im retired, but Ive been trapped in my house for a month now because at first, my vision went blurry, and now thats clear.
But my cramping and BM's have forced me to stay home.
I last put gasoline in my car in august, and still have 3/4 of a tank, where as I fill the tank once a week for 40 years.

The metformin is killing me. absolutely torturing me. I started taking it with dinner tonight and will not worry about spreading my dose out twice a day 12 hours apart. Forget that, it goes down with breakfast and dinner.

How do you deal with the intestinal issues with metformin?
Im lost here, I dont want to spend the rest of my life hugging my toilet bowl.

Ive also been diagnosed in 2008 with diverticulitis, and was in the emergency room, so this metformin is giving similar cramping and the runs.
I dont know what way to turn. I dont know what to eat.
Im so frustrated, but I never give up.

I have to give up my social life it seems, what little social life I have left.

btw- my glucose the past 2 weeks hasnt gone over 114 fasting , 135 at 10am, 100 at 4pm, and has been around 110 at 10 pm. so I think the metformin works with a diet, but like I said, I cant deal with the intestinal issues.
allen L is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote