View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 05:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
You don't have to answer this, but were you on any kind of opioid medication within 7 days of them giving you the patch with the naltrexone in it? If so, the naltrexone can induce immediate withdrawal symptoms. My understanding is that it's supposed to be given only with first-time opioid use, or with a carefully monitored switching procedure to avoid such a reaction.

IIRC, the idea of adding LD neltrexone to opioids is that it eliminates the euphoric effects and retards/prevents tolerance to the opioids.
Google: low dose naltrexone

Doc

I just googled this medication and I don't understand why it is used together with opioids. Here is what it said," Naltrexone is in a class of medications called opiate antagonists. It works by decreasing the craving for alcohol and blocking the effects of opioid medications and opioid street drugs."

This states it blocks the effects, does that mean that is also blocks the active agents that help with the pain? I'm totally confused! It also said it is used for off label use and such just like other medications are. But this is scary.

Gabbycakes
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote