View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 12:05 PM
kittycapucine1974

kittycapucine1974

Hi, mrsD and others:

Thanks for the links and information.

Quote: "MONITOR: Beta-blockers and flecainide may have additive negative inotropic effects. Areas under the curve were increased for both drugs and negative inotropic effects occurred when flecainide and propranolol were given to normal subjects. A case of bradycardia, atrioventricular block and cardiac arrest has been reported after sotalol was added to flecainide; however, causality was not definitely determined."

I cannot find the word "inotropic" in my dictionary and, as a result, I do not know what this word means. If there was a health care professional here (doctor, nurse...) who could give me not only the definition of this word, but also the meaning of "Areas under the curve were increased for both drugs."

There is information about a cardiac arrest, bradycardia (slow heart beat), and block (?) with the mix of flecaïnide and sotalol. I wish so hard this would not apply to me because I do not take sotalol, but propranolol.

My cardiologist prescribed the flecaïnide for me, but he does not know I take the propranolol. The propranolol was prescribed for me, after the flecaïnide, by my primary care physician. This doctor does know I take flecaïnide.

I feel caught between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, the mix of these medications might be dangerous, even deadly; on the other hand, I need these medications for the control of my intense RSD pain, because the fentanyl patches and morphine capsules do not seem to be as effective as they used to be. I really do not know what to do. I am almost 100% sure my primary care physician will not increase the dosage of the fentanyl patches. There is no qualified pain management doctor where I live.

Quote: "MANAGEMENT: Careful monitoring of the patient's hemodynamic status is recommended during concomitant administration. The same precaution should be observed when beta blocker ophthalmic solutions are used, since they are systemically absorbed and can produce clinically significant systemic effects even at low or undetectable plasma levels. Patients should be advised to promptly report symptoms such as dizziness, slow or irregular heartbeats, syncope, or palpitations."

Another word I do not find in my dictionary is "hemodynamic". What are exactly "palpitations"? I know this word is commonly heard, but I am not sure I understood it right.

Quote: "Do not change doses, or suddenly discontinue either medication without medical supervision. This is very important." Thanks for warning me, mrsD. I really appreciate the information.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote