View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Nicole,

Well, the sinus perf can take a really long time to fully heal. It is good that he is checking again in 3 weeks. Time will tell, that's all you can do right now.

With regard to the bony edge, this is a small splintering of the jawbone during the extraction. Sometimes this takes care of itself, other times it has to be removed and smoothed down. If it is very small, then it's not a horrible procedure.

It sounds to me like the OS is taking a conservative approach and that is good! He want's everything to heal nicely so he's careful not to disturb anything.

The I CAT scan can be diagnostic with regard to the sinuses, however, at this stage it will most likely show a healing perf and since the bone has not yet filled in from the extraction completely... it will show less dense bone than you have in other areas. So unless you are having increasing problems in that area, I would say wait on that scan and see what occurs with the OS in 3 weeks.

Hope you find this helpful ;-)

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry socket girl View Post
Hi Bryanna,
So this is the update. I went to the Oral Surgeon for a follow up yesterday. He said it looks better, did the nose blow test and that came out negative. He thinks the sinus communication or OAF is healed. He gave me 3 more weeks. He said that in 3 weeks if the hole is not closed or it is still red then he will have to go in and clean it out. He said there is a chance that a sinus perforation can happen again because he does not know how deep he has to go to clean it and then he shook his hand and said it is a simple procedure if it needs to be done, do not worry about it and we will see in 3 weeks. So I go back the 24th of October. So this is good news, but why do I doubt the answer to the closure of the sinus communication? I think because I feel some pressure but I do not know if it pressure it is like a hard feeling when I say certain consonants and different times not all the time and may not happen for a day. I developed a bone issue on the tip of the gum around the socket. I feel a sharp piece of bone under my gum and it is pointy. He said it might go away and it might not. It is the way the bone healed. He said that he can fix that ( the procedure) but it sounded very painful. He asked if it hurt and i told him no, but it is very annoying and noticeable. If it does not go away it has to be cut and scraped down and that does not sound pleasant. He said he will not do anything until this other issue is fixed and healed up. As long as it does not hurt me, it has to wait. I respect him. He is not quick to jump to anything and you were right about the outcome of the visit.
I am the type of person who needs concrete proof that something is either fixed or is healing and I know you can appreciate that. My original dentist has a i-cat GXCB-500 in his office. Is this a dental ct scan and could this show if the bone has been comprimised and would it show a sinus communication?This seems like a high tech machine so I was going to ask him if he could do it if we could actually see the sinus area and if it was hurt in anyway. Do you know about this?
Also about this bone issue.. Did you know of anyone who ever had this done (the bone being scraped) and if so was it really bad?
Bryanna,
Thanks for your time and your help.
Nicole

[/QUOTE]
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote