View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 08:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Post Doctor scr*wed up big time!

I just need to vent....I had a tiny growth removed from my bladder 5 years ago, and then again back in February of this year. I have to go for follow-ups every 3 months for the first year, and then once a year thereafter for follow-ups. Each time I go for the follow-up procedure the nurse leaves an antibiotic on the counter for me to take after I get dressed.

This last time when I went in she asked me if I have any allergies. I told her I was allergic to Levaquin, which I saw was already written on my chart. After I got dressed I took the antibiotic she left for me. As soon as I finished swallowing the pill, she came in and asked if I took it yet. I said yes, and I was concerned so I asked her why. She proceeded to tell me it was Cipro, and only one wouldn't hurt me because that's what I've been taking each time for the past 5 years, and nothing happened to me. I looked it up, and found out it is in the fluoroguinolone drug class, the same as Levaquin.

I explained to her that I was given Levaquin for 2 weeks about 10 years ago, and developed a rash so the doctor entered on my record that Levaquin was an antibiotic I was allergic to, and it's been on record ever since. Apparently this medical group just didn't pay any attention to it, and scr*wed up big time When I was leaving, the doctor came in and told me to remind them at my next appointment about the antibiotic. I was really p*ssed because she told me it wouldn't hurt me. These doctors know nothing about neuropathy, and absolutely nothing about the adverse effects of antibiotics. I can't believe I was taking a fluoroquinolone drug at every appointment for the past 5 years.

On a happier note, I am thankful I don't have bladder cancer, it's just something that has to be watched because it could develop into cancer if not taken care of. So I will continue the follow-ups for the rest of my life, and I suppose I will have to take my health care into my own hands, and remind the doctors about my allergy.

I am thankful for this website, and the wonderful high-tech world we live in. If it wasn't for my computer I wouldn't have a clue as to what I was talking about. Thanks for listening........
Rosie33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
glenntaj (10-08-2011), mrsD (10-07-2011), Twinkletoes (10-07-2011)