View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 05:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyV View Post
My Neurologist put me on Gabapentin almost two weeks ago. He told me it would take time for it to build up in my system before it would start working.

It has been almost two weeks now and I have noticed an improvement in the frequency and intensity of my headaches over the past two or three days, which is great. However I have also noticed in the past few days that I am feeling more sad and blue, I even cried a bit this morning for no reason at all really. I have only cried once since my injury, and that was more because of exhaustion then anything else. I am usually a very happy person. In fact, I have been surprised how upbeat and positive I have remained throughout this process.

Anyways, depression is one of the possible side effects of this med, and I am worried that my recent emotions/mood is because of it. I am thinking of weaning of off it in a few days if I still feel the same. I would rather have the headaches then feeling the way I do now all the time.

For those of you who have taken or are taking Gabapentin, what have your experiences been? Did you have any of the side effects, did it affect your mood? Any advice or words of wisdom are welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks
unfortunately, i am not on gabapentin....however, I also began to get extremely tearful and more depressed as time has gone on. And my antidepressants that are being used for headache control (nortriptyline) and on celexa havent seem to help much with the depressive symptoms. Prior to the injury i had zero issues with depression and was a very energetic happy person. So part of me thinks the emotional lability is more from the PCS sequela as opposed to a side effect of the drug. Definetly discuss with your doctor as well. And also worth considering talking with a therapist about everything thats happening because what we all are experiencing is a form of trauma and very overwhelming. good luck
Suffered a TBI with PCS on April 25th 2011 from multiple blows to the head from falling, unconscious for 12 hours with no memory of event. Hit the back of my head, and above right eye. MRI and CT negative. Symptoms included constant headaches (migraine, pressure, tension, icepicks), dizziness, tinnitus, visual changes, photophobia, fatigue, "spacing out", word finding difficulties, depression, and emotional lability.
Began Healing in November 2011 after starting acupuncture and Healing Touch (a nurturing energy therapy that promotes relaxation and pain relief). I went back to work in February 2012. Ive been symptom free since July 2012. Very happy, positive, energetic and working out every day, doing yoga, and living a normal life again!
I also began taking Healing Touch classes in November 2011 and completed 5 Levels of Healing Touch Certificate Program that included a 1 year mentorship to become a Healing Touch International Practitioner in June 2013. I am so pleased to offer this wonderful healing therapy to my patients, friends, and clients.
nightnurse30 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote