View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 07:14 PM
kittycapucine1974

kittycapucine1974

Unhappy High tolerance for narcotics & general anesthesia for surgery

Hi, everybody:

I use two narcotic painkillers to control the severe chronic pain caused by my generalized internal chronic RSD:
-Duragesic (fentanyl) 125 mcg: one 100 mcg patch and one 25 mcg patch every 72 hours
-MSIR (morphine sulfate immediate release) 30 mg: one capsule once or twice daily

When I have general anesthesia for my knee surgery, I would like to know if my high tolerance for narcotics can cause the anesthesia to be ineffective, with me waking up during the surgery without anyone knowing about it and, worse, with me being in severe pain from the surgery but unable to say anything or move.

I do not want the anesthesiologist to make me stop the narcotic painkillers before surgery. For one of the seven knee surgeries I had in the past, an anesthesiologist made me stop my Duragesic before surgery by removing the 100 mcg patch himself (he forgot the 25 mcg patch). Afterwards, it was pure hell with my RSD and its pain and, of course, the nurse refused to call any doctor because she did not believe me. All the nurse would consent to give me was some Tylenol!!! Mentioning this to the anesthesiologist I see during the pre-op anesthesiologist consultation would not do any good because I could get and usually get another anesthesiologist during surgery.

I really, really feel like cancelling the surgery because I feel scared out of my shoes.

Thanks for your information.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote