View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 06:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiehub View Post
Hi all,

I have to have surgery to remove and adenoma on my thyroid gland. The cut will be about 1 inch. The doc is willing to look over any recommendations regarding surgery and RSD. Anyone have an article or research?

I am also going into my 5th month of IVIG. I have been diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy as well. So far no luck with the IVIG. I continue to have severe muscle wasting in my legs, arms and back which is so upsetting

Thanks for any info

Debbie
Hi Debbie,

So sorry to hear you are not feeling well.

I have had many surgeries while having RSD. My pain managment doctor was on staff at the same hosptial as my surgeon. In most hosptial settings from what I can see is the the pain managment dept. is part of the anesthesioloist department, so they have all the easy access to the anesthesioloist(spelling sorry). My PM doctor was very involved with my surgeries and if I remember correctly he was even there just to give help with one. The protocol always involved ketamine as part of the anesthestising(boy I'm reaching with this spelling I apologize,but you get the point). During this nightmare with my right arm my carpel tunnel started to become unbearable in my left, so I had to have surgery to correct it or I would be left not using any of my hands at all. Again they used ketamine, and I remember my surgeon was joking around because a carpel tunnel usually would get done in the same day surgery unit but because of the ketamine being administered I had to be on a full surgical floor, his statement was in his opinion, "it like killing a fly with a sledge hammer", meaning he didn't feel it was necessary but would do what my PM doctor wanted. And I never had a RSD problem with my left arm or my left side at all and through all my surgeries to correct the right arm I did not become worse with RSD.

I truly wish you all the best and please keep us posted.

gabbycakes
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote