View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 12:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default B12 deficiency & back pain

This is my first post here. I hope I chose the right forum. I wanted to find a place where people have experience neurological issues from B12 deficiency.

I was wondering if anyone experiencing neurological symptoms have ever had back or spinal problems from B12 deficiency? My B12 was extremely low. I had 2 severe cases of loss of balance, not being able to walk straight or falling over, and after my primary & an ENT kind of brushed it off and doing my own research, I asked that they check it. It was 163. After doing more research, I realize I may have been deficient for 6+ years. Odd symptoms that nobody could explain surfaced as far back as then. I have seen 3 ENTs & a GI and none could offer explanations. I ignored pins & needles & numbness for years. I am currently getting monthly injections but my symptoms have worsened to vibrations, increased pins & needles, more widespread numbness, tingling, etc. One day I experienced numbness just under the ribcage that spread around to the middle of my back. Pain & spasms followed. I now get pressure in the middle of my back, increased pins & needles, vibrations down one leg, & horrible back pain that gets better with rest. My primary sent me to a neurologist, he seemed not completely knowledgeable with B12 deficiency but listened to everything I said. He found diminished reflex but said that may not mean anything. I go to get an MRI & EMG in 1 month so I have to suffer until then.

I can only find limited information of people suffering back pain & spinal degeneration from B12 deficiency. My B12 levels are up to 406. I am thinking of trying Benfotiamine in addition to my B12 therapy. Part of me wants to believe I am healing & maybe if enough damage was done, the healing may be inflaming the nerves temporarily but I can't evidence that this happens. I just feel lost right now & it's so frustrating that doctors don't seem to know much. If I had asked for the blood test myself, I probably would still be undiagnosed.
Westgrl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote