View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 05:46 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Won't get any argument from me.

I believe you are on to something, and also agree that nutrient depletion due to pharmaceuticals is a bigger problem than most realize, and that most doctors are not well-versed in nutrition at all.

Though I'm sure others will be along to comment, the only thing I noticed in your list of supplements that might need some tweaking is tha you seem to have a low dose of alpha lipoic acid if you are seeking a synergistic effect with the carnitine for control of neurological issues. Most of the studies on this from Europe--Germany in particular, where it is a prescription substance--show optimal effects at does in the 600-1200mg/day range (although in a lot of studies this is accomplished intravenously--there is less support for salutary effects of oral supplementation). It is true that one can take lower doses if one is taking the R-lipoic form--the ration usually cited is a 6:1 to 10:1 exchange.

Unless you have other issues--intolerance of the acidity, or blood sugar issues (lipoic has considerable blood glucose downregulating effects, and is an intriguing possibility for diabetics looking to get off meds) you might want to try bumping it up a bit when you are taking alpha lipoic. I have found that 100mg R-lipoic does seem to roughly correspond to about 600mg alpha lipoic. Weight does have to be factored in--I am 210 lbs., so those smaller may need less.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote