View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 08:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Lyrica - Taking ownership of my health

After years of undiagnosed pain, I was relieved to actually have a diagnosis. Though no one (i think?) would wish ill health on others or themselves, it was a relief to end up in rheumotology after months in neurology and to get some answers. However....And here's the clencher....the solution to the intense pain was to take Lyrica. Very high in cost and co-pays even out of reach I utilized the pfizer connect to care program and was able to acquire what I thought would be the answer to my symptoms. In the beginning, the Dr had me on the low doses, like most people would likely be advised. Within six months I had "worked up to" 450mg and still experiencing "break through" pain. Within a year, it was 600mg, over 65 pounds gained (which limited my mobility even further) all the while managing the "break through"pain with light narcotics and voltaren gel. After consulting with my PCP and another Rheumologist....we all agreed it made sense to stop a medication if it is not working. Why put it in my body and still have to manage the pain otherwise. UNDER CAREFUL GUIDANCE BY PHYSICIAN I am weaning off. Side effects are horrible and harsh. Swelling indescribable in hands and feet. Now I am finally down to alternating 150/300 mg a day. I think I can handle a faster pace, but will consult before doing so, with my rheumo. USE CAUTION with Lyrica. I am using Voltaren gel in the pain points, getting medically supervised exercise at the hospital and using warm water swimming and exercise programs along with other slow movement instruction/stretching like yoga, etc. Its not perfect and I am back to square one pain wise but feeling empowered at the same time.
JossyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (11-07-2011), Dejibo (10-09-2011), dmplaura (10-09-2011), Judy2 (10-11-2011), karousel (10-10-2011), SallyC (10-08-2011), Twinkletoes (10-09-2011)