View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 10:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri_TOS View Post
Given that you have an anatomical reason for developing TOS, you may fare better with surgery but it's no guarantee.

Personally, when I went through this the first time around, I was pre-disposed to TOS due to the bony abnormality involving the 1st rib. It took an event to "excite" the TOS and it never calmed down. Once started, it continued downhill. The only relief I had in 21 months from the trigger event to surgery was the month after the botox shot. I had complete relief for 4 weeks and it was great! When it wore off, the TOS symptoms returned with a vengence. I opted for surgery and I'm glad I did. This doesn't mean you will have the same results.

I have TOS on the other side now and I have a cervical rib on that side. Lucky me to have two different anatomical reasons for being prone to TOS. Despite the good outcome I had on the right side, I'm hesitant to go the surgery route again. I don't feel like taking another gamble.
Right now, the level of pain doesn't warrant surgical intervention. It's manageable. That said, this recent cervical rib finding plus a recent slight pickup in pain has me concerned that I start heading in the wrong direction.

The botox shot, if approved, will be interesting. Dr Donahue explained that sometimes this is all that's needed to "break the cycle" of tightness. And as you say, maybe this cleans out the "excitement." I guess we'll see.

I actually have a similar bony abnormality on the left side, but it is far less pronounced. The cervical rib is smaller and doesn't extend too far.

KY
kyoun1e is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote