View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleD View Post
Mike,

Charlie,

My lock-plugs are directly under my incisions too but my incisions are much shorter that Mike's. Why should the incision not go over the plugs?

My doctor recommended that I keep my incisions covered all the time and other than changing twice before the stitches were taken out, I kept mine covered with large bandages. I slept in my recliner when I got home so I wouldn't tear the bandages off. The doctor showed me the leads he was going to install. On the day before the stitches were to be removed I knocked the bandage off and I felt one of the stitches with my fingers. I was still mostly asleep and my first thought was that the lead had pulled out. I sat up faster than I had moved in years.
The semi circular incision gives virgin skin over the plugs. It is tougher and less prone to injury during the healing process.
Touching my incisions when I was asleep was how I got my infection.
Exposing them to air is the best way to promote healing, and the banadage is a fertile ground for germs to grow, IMHO.
One should keep a vigil for redness, heat or unusual discharge around the incisions.

Charlie Black, bilateral DBS-STN done in 2002 at UCLA

DBS Surgery (1062 members!)

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/DBSsurgery/
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote