View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 01:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeeDanielle View Post
i myself have recently been diagnosed with TN!
about 3 months go however, my jaw locked on the same side of where TN occurs.
could this be related to my recent diagnosis?
i am indeed a worrier and i've read up on TN and have seen that it can be caused by M.S, Tumors and etc...
the hospital have not booked me in for blood tests or MRI scans like it says TN sufferers should have....

many thanks

Although TN may be caused by MS, tumors, AVMs, ect. it is almost always (75-80%) caused by a blood vessel pushing against the trigeminal nerve. Tests like MRIs, Cat scans, blood tests, ect. rule out other problems but do not usually show proof of TN. Sometimes MRIs with dye can show a neurosurgeon how close blood vessels are to the trigeminal nerve, but in my experience only neurosurgeons are educated enough to notice these small compressions. For example my family doc, neurologist, and radiologist never mentioned anything abnormal with my MRIs. After my neurosurgeon ordered MRI with dyes he told me the vessel seems to be riding against the nerve. Overall there is no test that says for sure if it is TN. I guess a functional MRI can prove you're in pain but no one has ever ordered one for me. Check out www.facepain.us they got a bunch of video clips answering common questions.
ipreferdosequis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote