View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 08:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcostello View Post
I had Lumbar Traction in the sitting position with heat exercise and massage for about three mos in 2002 and it worked wonders on my sciatica. my sciatica has reappeared and now I cant find anywhere to go that does it in the sitting position. I have a hard time laying on my bad due to the pain. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I have worked in health care for 23 years with 1/2 of my patient base comprised of back patients. And I have never heard of seated traction. The problem, as I see it, is that you would have to overcome gravity and upper body weight necessitating probably at least 50-70 pounds just to equal 0 pounds compared to laying down. Then therapeutic traction would start at around 30-40 pounds and go up from there over time. So well over 100 pounds applied across your hips would be pretty darn uncomfortable, I would think!

That said, if it worked before, I would try it again too. I found one site http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20110...0110021961.php that may start you in the right direction, maybe. I would also browse around at physical therapy and chiropractic equipment websites, find one that has or resembles the unit you used in 2002 and then call around to various PT offices, maybe chiropractic too, and see if anyone has that piece of equipment or knows someone who does. Might also consider a medrol dose pack or epidurals for the sciatica. Conservatively, a flexion-distraction table works well for many and it is done face down with your hips flexed somewhat. Virtually all can assume this position. Unless you are rich, I would stay away from contract-adminstered spinal decompression gimmicks.
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote