View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lack of sleep is pushing me over the edge!

This lack of sleep is really taking its toll on me. Except for a few rare nights I haven't slept through the night in 15 months. I have never had difficulty sleeping - ever - so this is really tough for me. I hate to whine about it when I know there are so many who don't sleep but since it's a new problem it's rough on me. If the lack of sleep was MS related, I think I'd be able to deal with it better. After I finally fall asleep I wake up every two hours or so and have difficulty getting back to sleep. It's an endless cycle that's starting to cause me problems during the day.

This sleep problem started when I took that spill two July's ago. I've been taking it a little bit at a time figuring my sleep will return to normal as the pain decreases. But it's not. I finally dragged myself to the doctor and he gave me some pointers to try to regulate my sleeping. He also told me to try melatonine which didn't work and then prescribed Trazadone. I'm already on Nortriptyline so I figured between those two I should be sleeping like a baby. Wrong!

I'm still in constant pain from my knee injury and wonder if I'm in more pain than I realize and maybe that's what is keeping me awake. I take Advil before bed which helps with pain but I'm still not sleeping.

I've tried not taking Provigil and limiting caffeine. Those days I can barely keep my eyes open but still have difficulty sleeping. I can't do that repeatedly because I need to drive my DD most days.

Do I need to just give Trazadone a while longer to work? Does it have to build up in my system or something? Any tips to getting a better night's sleep? Right now I'm willing to try just about anything to break this vicious cycle.
karousel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (10-10-2011), DVORA (10-15-2011), Jodylee (10-14-2011), Kitty (10-10-2011), Lady (10-11-2011), NeuroNixed Craig (10-14-2011), SallyC (10-10-2011)