View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 11:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westgrl View Post
I thought this may be a good place to ask since many of you have probably had MRIs of the spine. I have pressure in the middle of my back that causes pain, spasms, etc. I believe it may be from a B12 deficiency that has gone undiagnosed. Due to several other symptoms I am having, my Dr decided to send me to a neurologist first. This Dr ordered a MRI on the lumbar spine with no contrast. I'll also be having an EMG in a month.

Can anyone tell me what part of the spine the MRI will show? I know lumbar means lower back but does that mean below the shoulders? Will it show the middle of my back? Thank you so much!
Westgrl,

All the answers you are getting are sort of right. A lumbar MRI depending on the facility has different levels vertically that they will image. Depending on your physical size and the facility, your sagittal images may go up to T7 or T8 which loosly could be considered your midback. Maybe higher if you include the scout images. On the other hand, axial images may only include L3 through S1 for orientation. It sort of depends on the facility and what your doc ordered based off of what he is differentially diagnosing.

If you are having mid back pain, a thoracic MRI would be thoughtful but bear in mind that high on the list of mechanical reasons a doc would order such a scan would be to rule out a thoracic disc issue; 0.5% of all hernaitions...very rare! A cervical disc problem can radiate to the interscapular regions so there is a reason for suspicion there too, if that is where your pain is located. There are also other intrinsic non-spinal pathologies that can be referred from within that should be in the mix for consideration of mid back pain....

Good luck!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote