View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 01:59 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gday View Post
From what we were told. It has to be a full time job for either SSI or SSDI. School doesn't count. In fact, according there own rules they suppose to help with schooling. I looked at that page. It says "substantial gainful activity" that is different than what we were told "substantial gainful employed". That was a long time ago. Did they change that it in the last few years? Do they even follow the own rules? I was going to tell him, he could go back to school if he wanted after I am gone. I guess I will have to tell him, he can't unless he finds a special school.

I heard of special schools. They help people with mental disabilities. He is considered borderline mentally disabled. He has a little bit of dyslexia, minimal brain dysfunction, and has trouble getting along with people. I have no idea where they are. I don't think they would end a disability for people going to special school, that would be consider disability discrimination.
Please check post #10 of mine in this thread and follow the link to see a copy of the CDR form. SSA does require a beneficiary to report if they've received any education or training.

The Ticket to Work Program, if a person chooses to utilize it, has it's own rules and protections.

If he wants to attempt working, he can contact the Ticket to Work Program to receive more information about the services available.

He could potentially make under a $1000 a month and continue to collect his SSDI benefits. But, SGA does not mean a person is capable of 40 hours of work a week. A person can be found capable of SGA if the SSA rules that he or she can make a $1000 a month. Some people have lost their benefits by working part time and the SSA decides they've had an improvement in health.

If you think he's potentially capable of working, then why not direct him to this forum so he can communicate for himself? Or he could contact a local advocacy group as well. If he is under the ongoing care of a pysch doc, he should get their opinion.

Your (or your spouse's) being in the picture does not make him more or less disabled... If you're worried about his finances,and you're currently helping to support him, finding him the resources to achieve independence while you're still alive, would be something worth considering.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote