View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiangirl1 View Post
Hope everything works out for you. Like I said before, will keep you two in my prayers. Promise.

Peace, and Love,
-Cgirl-
Thank you Cgirl, I really appreciate that, I know prayer does help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Mama? View Post
Pamster...

I'll be keeping you both in prayer as well.

I don't know a lot about the different kinds/levels of autism and which is the best way to guide them in these instances....so I admittedly may be way off here....but I'm guessing that there must be some reward your son perceives in making a game out of taking away your w/c. He's getting something out of it, or else he wouldn't be doing it. It's possible that the 'reward' is your reaction and/or the action of you hopping/scooting. Each time this happens, it reinforces his behavior.

Unfortunately that is the way it works, he gets to see mom hop/scoot and it reinforces that behavior. Luckily it only happens a couple times a week if I am not on my toes and making sure it's locked when I go to the bathroom or stand up to reach for something on a shelf.

I wonder what would happen, over time, if you simply didn't react? And that would include not responding to him in any way, shape or form as long as your w/c is not accessible to you. Again, I don't know how your son learns best, (or how long you'd be left stranded without your w/c! ) but it may become more desirable for him to have your interaction again, rather than trying to elicit another hopping exercise from you. (?)

When I tried not reaction he left the chair in the other room and went on to do something else. In the end I still have to go hop twenty feet to get the darn thing. His father intervenes when he sees it happening and then I get my chair back quickly. It is very frustrating though, no doubt about it.

I'm sure you've tried everything imaginable, so I hope I haven't insulted you with my simplistic advice. I only want for you to have your w/c!! That must be wearisome for you to go through each time. Please let us know how it's going.
It's been so hard today, he's been hitting and kicking a lot, I am waiting on his p-doc to call back and he hit me in my upper back near where I have a partially herniated disk so I'm not feeling so hot now. He got a time out for it but other then that what can we do? It hurt so bad I cried and he laughed, he always laughs when he's like that. Other times if I just have my eyes tear up, like when I wake up or get tired, he'll be concerned sweetly and ask, "Why cry? Aw, don't cry." So there is good behavior to brag about, but the bad is just getting worse and worse because we're having to adjust his medication.

He's been having a reaction called akathisia where he's really restless and iritable, but it's been over a week with the decreased dosage and he's a bit better then he was last week. But still it's been incredibly hard. I hate the idea of seeing him off this medication, it's an atypical anti-psychotic, but we can't have him hurting me and other people like at school where he's hit a teacher in the eye and hit them over the head with another student's cane. I don't know how much of this is just because of the medication issue or the fact that they got a new student in the class a month ago and he's having a hard time adjusting to that. He is also on his fourth teacher this school year, yup 4th teacher in less then 1/2 a year.

Thanks so much for caring Hoosier Mama & Cgirl. It really means a lot to have friends. I think I am gonna post in the autism forum about this...See what they think too.
Pamster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote