Thread: Doggie question
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

It has been my experience living in rural and city environments each year that the "attitude" in the rural areas, is very different than the citified one.

In our city, which is really good at picking up animals, they will come if that animal is on YOUR property illegally off leash.
They will not HUNT or find roaming dogs...who tend to move around. In our rural area, only dangerous dogs are attended to, as EVERYONE lets their dogs run around. And this is rare, for one to be "mad" etc.

There was just an incident here in the city with a dog that got out of his yard, and ended shot by police:

This is what Dr. Smith illustrates. But IMO the dogs roaming free and used to that behavior do not stay long enough in one place anymore to be caught. In my area, the dog person is no longer in the budget even. At some times the contracted Vet service (a local clinic) will respond, but sometimes not.
If you know the owners, then yes, get the local law after them, but I would not expect much enforcement. The longer these dogs run loose, the more comfortable "hunting", the bigger the risk with them going feral.

Your question is what to do if they approach you. Do not act afraid or aggressively, and hold your ground and have some back up plan in place (pepper spray or whatever you choose).
Most dogs will not attack a person unless they are wild, or sick or have some aggressive reason. Dogs trained to fight when they get loose may be very aggressive-- like pit bulls. But your description is of house pets, just running amok.

We used to have a dog catcher here in the city, but that service is terminated as financial crunches tighten. I would expect other places to have similar woes.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (10-13-2011)