Thread: Need your input
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Need your input

I have a close friend (in another state), who has been through a lot. Her son is a full blown alcoholic who will not stop.

My friend started drinking to cope with her son's problems. I have encouraged her to go to AA (first she went to Alanon).

She didn't like Alanon and got no support from her husband. Her drinking got out of control and I said "you need to go to AA".

I know there is nothing I can do to get her to stop drinking. It's on her. I completely understand this.

What I need to know is what kind of response I am supposed to give someone who says

"I don't know what I have to live for, my son won't last, he's my world, why should I stop drinking, I can't cope. etc.etc."

When a person is so down and says these things, what is the person on the other end of the phone supposed to reply?

I've been a good listener but I found myself saying "You need to go to a meeting. You'll see that you are not the only person dealing with these things", etc. etc. She has gone, but hasn't gone to many meetings. I think 2 or 3. I don't think she thinks it's for her.

Should I be saying anything else?

She's going through quite a bit and has absolutely no support from anybody except me. I really don't know what else to do.

Thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY