View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 09:46 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New to this board, I have some questions...

Hello, my name is Nick. I'm 26 years old and I experienced a mild TBI in June of this year. I don't have insurance, so I'm very limited to what I can do as far as seeking professional help. I'm having some serious symptoms that are really scaring me and I'd like to talk to some people that are in the same boat as me. Before I ask any questions, let me explain what happened...

I was out drinking with a friend of mine. After a few drinks, we decided to head home. We hopped on the bus and that's the last thing I remember. I woke up in the back of an ambulance, on my way to the hospital. From what I was told, we got off the bus and before we got on the next bus we decided to stop at McDonalds. We were followed in to McDonalds by a white male and we were both hit in the back of the head, knocking us unconscious. While in the hospital, they gave me a CT scan and it showed that I had a small contusion/brain bleed and a hematoma in my left frontal lobe. I was in the hospital for 3 days before being released. They told me on the last day I was there that my contusion was improving. So anyways, I go home and I start the healing process. About a month later [July] I felt like I was 100% back to normal... So I went back to doing the things I normally do. Sometime last month [September], I started to get some strange symptoms.. I'll start with the minor ones:

Numbness in my fingertips on both hands [that went away the beginning of October], every time I bend my neck down I get an electric shock/vibrating feeling throughout my entire body, really really bad headaches on the right side of my head, random tingling in the back of my head, dizziness, my heart will beat weird sometimes, blurred vision [i used to have perfect vision, now I have to get close to something to see what it is/read it], sensitivity to bright lights and loud noises...and then the scary ones:

Horrible, HORRIBLE panic/anxiety attacks [at least I think that's what it is], where I'll suddenly go from being just fine to feeling confused, scared, lost and feeling like I'm losing my mind/going crazy..sometimes it last for 20-30 min<-that ones scares me the most because I literally feel like I'm going mad and i'm gonna stay like that... I'm having trouble concentrating on anything, I'm spacing out like crazy, my girlfriend has to say something 2-3 times to get my attention, memory problems, i'm very irritable [i'm snapping at people for small things, it's starting to effect my family].....

....and I'm sure there is more that I can't think of right now. But anyways, I've gone to see a doctor a few times and they haven't diagnosed me with PCS, they just keep saying that these symptoms are normal for someone that's had a brain injury. So here's my questions:

1. Even though a doctor hasn't diagnosed me as having PCS, from reading what symptoms I have wouldn't you think that's what it is?

2. Why did it take 3 months for me to start getting these symptoms? I literally felt 100%, then all of a sudden 3 months later I get smacked in the face with all these horrible symptoms. Is that normal? Has anyone else experienced a delay in symptoms?

3. I mentioned the scariest symptom I'm having is where I'll be feeling just fine, then all of a sudden I get this "feeling like i'm going crazy/losing my mind" spell that lasts for 20-30 min...does this happen to any of you?

4. How long have you guys been having PCS symptoms and are they getting better or staying the same?

5. For people that are having similar symptoms, what do you do to make yourself feel better? I found that going to the quietest place in the house and just relaxing, staying away from anything that's gonna stress me out helps me out a lot. I also take Hydrocodone and Flexeril together which kind of relaxes me, and take a 1-2 hour nap during the day.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm really glad I found this forum because I was starting to feel alone and lost. The only person I can talk to is my Mom, she's the only one that really understands/knows what i'm going through. Now I have somewhere to go to talk to people going through the same thing ...
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Katiebell (10-14-2011)