View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Just wanted to add

It is also important to analyze and document your functional limitations.

Personally, I have a tendancy to not clue my docs in about all the ways I've adapted to daily life and put a smile on when in public and hide away when I'm at my worst. For those that you see infrequently, and only for shorts periods of time, the hundreds of adaptions you might have to make in order to cope with your disability, might not be readily apparent. So, first, you must be brutally honest with yourself. Keeping a journal will likely help. Then ask your doc for some extra time to discuss your limitations with you in preparation for your SSD application. (Relating the realities of your life isn't tantamount to whining.) Even if your doc is supportive of your application, and believes your disability is severe, he might not have an understanding of your daily functional limitations. And honestly, for the "suck it up and bear it" patients, you might be surprised how much of your life has changed...

This link explaining Residual Function Capacity is a must read IMHO:

http://disabilityblogger.blogspot.co...-residual.html

If you have legal representation ask them if they have their own Residual Functional Capacity forms, or if they use a different way to document your functional limitations.

If your filing without representation these forms might work for you. You doc might charge you a fee for his extra time since this is a special request.:

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/rfcdownloadhome.html

The earlier in the process that you supply this type of indepth look at your disability, the better. But, if you're going to have an ALJ hearing, this info is extremely important so that the Voc Counselor and the ALJ can accurately determine if you might be able to perform "other work."

Regarding medications, document the effects and side effects. It's great for you that a med might reduce your pain, but if it causes you to sleep 12 hours a night and nap for another couple, that will effect your ability to work, and don't assume that this is just common sense. If more break through meds are required from activity, which again starts the cycle of additional drowsiness, this is important to address. It is also a good thing to supply a brief explanation of your meds. For example, if you take MSIR--write out Morphine Sulphate Instant Release. Or with a designer drug, such as Avinza or Kadian, include "Time Release Morphine."
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lefthanded (10-13-2011)