View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 02:17 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

A short update:

I'm finally getting a blood test on Monday the 17th (for B-12, B-6 and many other usual things for an annual exam), and haven't taken any of my vitamins (or fish oil) since Saturday. So it has been 6 days since I have taken my usual vitamins and supplements.

Before Saturday, I was really feeling great -- better than I have in a LONG time -- mainly, i think, because of the B-12 I have been taking since mid-August. (My B-12 level in mid-August was 398).

Now, 6 days after discontinuing my vitamins in preparation for the blood test, my depression is starting to come back. I feel it on a very organic level -- the way I perceive things, my ability to cope with stress, my general cognitive abilities -- are all taking a nosedive. I know that I can hang in there a few days until my test, but wow -- I didn't think that stopping my vitamins, especially the B-12 and high EPA fish oil, would impact me in such a specific way in such a short amount of time!

I find this very interesting. In addition to the blood tests, I will be doing a mail-in urine test for Pyroluria. Frankly I don't think that I have Pyroluria, but I strongly suspect that my 15-year-old daughter does. She will be doing the urine test in about two weeks. She has an anxiety disorder and when I read about Pyroluria, it seemed to describe what she was going through. Pyruloria is a condition where the body doesn't properly utilize B-6 or zinc. Interestingly, she tells me that if she doesn't take her B-complex vitamins, she doesn't feel as good. She will also get a blood test for B-12 and B-6. She had some other blood tests a few months ago and they were all normal (including the thyroid panel).

Anyway, I can't wait to get back the results of my B-12 test and see how my oral supplementation has improved my level, or not. Feeling foggy-headed and mentally dull sure isn't any fun.

By the way, do you guys know whether B-12 helps the body heal better or faster? I'm getting some oral surgery at the end of the month (gum grafting) and I wonder how the B vitamins affect the speed or efficiency of healing.
zeeclass6 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (10-14-2011)