View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedAsylum View Post
The question I have is at what point your education becomes an indication of work ability.. I'm in grad school full time, and have the sneaky suspicion that it wouldnt go over well with SSA if I was reviewed right now.. due to this I have to toe a dangerous line.. I'm set for review in 2015, and since I am 'improvement not likely' I will most likely get the CDR short form (which asks what youve been up to for the last two years I believe)..the form asks about what your doing right now - job training/education. which means I have to cease schooling by the end of 2012, the term I plan to graduate
You can handle grad school full time AND you're worried about losing SSD? Even working part-time, you should be able to make substantially more money than you're receiving in benefits. Even teaching 6 hours a week at the community college level in CA, you'd make more money than max SSDI benefits, and that can't be more work than a full time graduate program. And if you needed more flexibility, being an online instuctor might be even more appropriate. You also would have a huge advantage in the hiring process.

Not that you need to justify yourself to a stanger, but the your post surely hints you're trying to work the system. It's hard for me to fathom anyone pursuing an advanced degree without the goal of a specific career.

If you get the long form, you stand a good chance of losing your benefits. Perhaps, you should consider the Ticket To Work program after you graduate which will, in theory, afford you some additional protections. If you can't manage SGA at that point, it'll be a failed work attempt.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
en bloc (10-14-2011)