View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I believe that compounding pharmacies are coming under the gun recently, and certain FDA changes may be soon implemented.

The bioidentical hormones, are being blocked as non FDA approved, and I just found some transdermal gels for pets may be changed soon--requiring using available dosage forms for manufacture rather than the pure drug as is now done.
(I've been researching transdermal delivery of bitter medications for our cat who has mast cell cancer and that is how I found that factoid.)

Ketamine to be made into a gel, would have to have FDA NDA, made for effectiveness and safety like other drugs have. The same "may" be extended to transdermal TCAs like amitriptyline and Neurontin which are in some recipes.

I have also heard that generic Lidoderm patches are coming very soon, and would expect insurances to require the generic when that happens. I think early 2012 is the target for that.
Many insurances have accepted the rule of prior Herpes Zoster neuropathy as a requirement for coverage. I don't believe "chronic pain" is an FDA approval yet. Some insurances are not requiring a prior diagnosis of shingles for its use, and others are requiring this diagnosis. If you are being denied, I'd go thru the prior authorization procedure your insurance has in place. By contacting your doctor and having them send in special circumstances and need, you might be able to obtain them again.

As the new actions and rules for compounding pharmacies expand shortly, you may be seeing many inconvenient changes coming.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
fmichael (10-14-2011), LIT LOVE (10-14-2011)