View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 11:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Very new - could this be small fiber neuropathy?

Hello everyone,

Brand new to the forums and looking for some advice. This started about 2 months ago for me - soon after delivering my first child. At first I could only explain the sensation I had as wetness on my skin; I would literally try and wipe water off of my legs and/or arms when nothing was there. Then I came home one day and two of my fingers were burning, like I got stung by something but there was absolutely nothing there. I ended up running them under cool water for hours and the next day it eventually subsided. Now I have constant cold, burning tingling sensations from head to toe. I don't usually feel much from my neck to my hips, but feet, shins, legs, arms, elbows, knee caps, and especially my scalp and face are constantly feeling this way. My scalp feels like someone put an icecube wrapped in a paper towel on my head (sorry! I just can't explain it any other way). I also feel these "cold burns" on my forehead, temples, ears, lips and around my mouth. In the past few weeks I've begun to notice that every time I scratch an itch, the location will tingle for a few minutes. I go to brush my hair and these tingling sensations linger for 5-10 minutes. Lastly, my upper spine goes numb and tingles constantly throughout the day, almost like someone is applying pressure on my back. Not painful, just very strange.

What is interesting to me is that I never experienced any of this prior or during my pregnancy. I did have an epidural and the doctor had a very difficult time administering it. She could not penetrate my ligaments the first time, had to move down and worked very hard to get it in the second time. I can't help but wonder if this might be the cause of my symptoms? And does this sound like small fiber neuropathy? I can't find much else online that describes symptoms as close to mine as SFN does. I have an appointment with my doctor next week and plan to discuss this with him, but I would really appreciate any opinions or advice from anyone who may experience similar symptoms. It's really starting to effect my life and drive me a bit crazy! Thank you in advance.
steedaunh32 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote