View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 09:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gday View Post
I also told him other option.
If he is 65. He could stay In the U.S. waive his SSDI & get SSI without being disabled. This way he can be his own payee. I told him to get the Direct express card or its replacement. He might be better off waving his SSDI, when he is 65.

In fact, He is the only one I trust with my estate, which is not much at all.
Wrong. SSI has a requirement that a person file for and receive any other benefits to which they may be entitled. If he chooses to stop his SSDI benefits, SSI will be denied. Also, if he gets your minimal estate, he could be over the resource limit and not eligible for SSI.

Being age 65 doesn't mean he is now capable of managing his own benefits. He would still have to prove he is capable since SSA has determined he is not capable.

Having a debit card may be easier to manage than a bank account, but doesn't make a person more responsible, more likely to pay rent and not get conned. He could be swindled just as easily with a debit card. He could lose the debit card and then be without money and hungry for some time while he waits for a replacement card.

Moving out of the country doesn't mean he doesn't need a payee.

Benefits can stop if someone shows significant medical improvement and going from needing a payee to not needing a payee shows some improvement. It may or not be considered significant medical improvement. But you can't have it both ways. You can't establish that he is now able to manage money and also say he is still as impaired as he was when he couldn't manage money. Doesn't mean he will be ceased when a CDR is done. SSA looks at the totality of the evidence.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote