View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 10:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

He is considered permanently disabled but doesn't mean he cant handle his own finances. 1/2 the people who are not disabled can't handle money. Everyone makes mistakes including me.

Originally, SSI should change into his name, when he turned 18 or 21 but didn't. That was a mistake, they never did. It cause some problems with banks.

I told him. To waive SSDI at 65 & file a new application with SSI based on income only. I aware of that rule, that only if they are disabled.

I read about moving out of the country. There are no payee agencies so they would have to let him manage his own finances. This applies as well in the U.S. if he lives no where near a payee agency.

I think I let him have to much control. So, he still wants the control. It makes him very unsecure when someone else has to much control. He wants to pay bills, do grocery shopping, rent dvd, use computer, watch tv & so on without getting approval to spend.

In my opinion, there shouldn't be a payee unless the beneficiary has guardian or the beneficiary wants it.

Debit cards didn't exist when he was 18 or 21. Now it does. He does having problems. He has two credit (I should of said no) card. I made him close one-he still owes on that. The other, I am going to let him keep. It is walmart credit card. I think he will need that, while he fight SS.

I think disabled people want to feel independent.

Last edited by gday; 10-15-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: correction
gday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote