View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gday View Post
When you turn 65, you are eligible for SSI benefits based on income not disability. The mistake was SSI should of put it in his name when he turned 18 or 21.

SSDI should not be needs based. I am talking about ending poverty. No one should be in poverty anywhere. It is kind of sicking the way the U.S. doesn't really help it is citizen. Like for example. Norway. No homeless, No poor. You get help with one program, but it could count against another. AARP, Said Social Security is fine. I am taking about SSI or SSDI raising it up higher so no one will every be in poverty.

If congress mess it up-I am worried that my son will be homeless, it keeps looking that way. I don't think he could handle being homeless. He has had nightmare. I said he is very unsecure.
On the one hand you talk about having him waive benefits (that will convert from SSDI to regular Social Security retirement benefits at 65, so he'll no longer be subjected to Continuing Disability Reviews at that point anyway) and on the the other you're talking about being so concerned about his financial situation that he might become homeless. If you think your son would choose receiving no benefits over having his bills taken care of and receiving an allowance, that in itself shows such poor decision making on his part that it confirms he needs a representative payee.

Janke has provided you solid information, as have others. Since you seem unwilling to believe anything other than your own interpretation of SS's rules and regulations, then the next step would be to make an appointment with either an attorney or a local non profit advocacy service that has extensive Social Security Disability experience and take your son to discuss all the legal questions you both have regarding his disability.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote