Thread: Dental Implants
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 12:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Pam:

I have had ALOT of dental work done lately and I have had RSD for too long. I have had both sides of my wisdom teeth taken out, had to have bone removed, and during that the nerve was exposed but it had to come out because my face was going numb because the tooth was growing into the nerve.

I look at it this way... it has to be done. I mean, we all need our teeth right? So first and foremost, find out the procedure, how many days, how they do it etc... What the recovery time is for MOST people... and give yourself a month to recover I have found. Also, if you can get a stellate block to block your face that morning when they drill and put the screw in, That will help prevent a big flare up. Also, medications about 3 days before and after... like for instance, neurontin or lyrica some type of nerve medication at a high dose to kind of put a protection on your nervous system for when it is done, and then after have a strong enough pain medication if you have general mouth pain, and take advil for inflammation. The neurontin is a BIG one though... its a big help. And I also take tramadol with the neurontin just as a prevention before to have my body guarded before. It would help alot if you had music in your ears or nitrus so you were kind of out of it so you dont have to feel or listen or hear the drilling to whats going on. And then rest rest rest afterwards. Have yogurt and foods that are soft to eat for you.

I have noticed that no matter what happens in my mouth its harder than I expect. I have RSD in my mouth though... BUT, Doing these steps with medicine and block before will definately help prevent flare or extreme pain. Also find out the amount of time you have to wait when they put the semi, and then the permanant in... like what the timeframe is, to see how you can prepare yourself in between the two...

Thats my experience and advice. I have had family members have those, but I have not myself, but I have had alot of dental work in my mouth. Also, Get a extra soft toothbrush and sensitive toothpaste because I can guarantee that your gums are going to be extremely sore afterwards to use a normal toothbrush.

You can totally do it and WILL be okay!!! If you would like look at the different RSd websites for some more information on dental work if you want some published articles. Good Luck!!! You will do great!

Hannah
hannah1234 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote