View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 01:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gday View Post
LIT LOVE. You are misunderstand my post, you are twisting them and putting word into them. Please don't do that.

SSI & SSDI are two different programs. He is not eligible to draw on his own. I told him if he really wants to be his own payee. Wait tell he is 65. This way he will still be able get SSI on income only because he wouldn't get SSDI if they determine he is no longer disabled. I also told him other options from reading other post & info from the web.

Moving out of the country would not require a payee. The reason. There are no payee agencies in other countries. Plus a payee in the U.S. couldn't pay bills in the country he living in.

There are locations in the U.S. where there is not a Payee agency close by. He could move to a city, where a payee would create a hardship.

You seem to believe there are only three choices:
1. He becomes his own payee and will be automatically determined not disabled. Wrong. Many, most SSDI recipients do not have payees.
2. He can give up SSDI at age 65 and opt for SSI instead. Wrong.
3. He can leave the US in order to get away from having a payee. He still has to establish that he is capable. If he has this severe mental problem that keeps him from being able to work, just how will he manage in a country in which he doesn't speak the language like a native, have a support system or be comfortable with the culture? Leaving the US doesn't take away the issue of capability. But it would seem to me that if you think he can thrive in Ecuador, it means his disabling mental problems just may not be that bad because he can deal with this kind of major change. Or perhaps your family has been vacationing for years in Ecuador or have extended family.

I am sure there are ways of a person in the US paying bills in another country, especially in this online banking era.

Geography doesn't determine whether or not a person needs a payee. Turning 65 doesn't determine whether or not a person needs a payee.

I am also confused about your statement that he is not eligible to draw on his own. Isn't he currently getting SSDI based on his own earnings? Or are you referring to the payee requirement.

If he is capable of being his own payee now, why are you opposed to it? Why do you not want him to live as indepently as he can and to practice managing money while you are still around to bail him out if he messes up and gets conned or swindled or makes a foolish choice?
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote