View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 07:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default My first encounter at the PAS support group

Well, I was out from the cave (borrowing Paula’s metaphor), following Lindy and Peg valued advises and thanks to my wife who constantly encouraged (or should I say: pushed) me to do it.
PAS (Parkinson Alberta Society, Calgary) organize several support meetings every month grouped according to the severity of symptoms and the location in town.
The meeting we attended was allocated to mild and intermediate symptoms Pders held in a church hall about 15 mins drive from my home.
The meeting was held round a big rectangular table and the Pders were there and continued to arrive, few alone but the majority were accompanied by their spouses.
I must say that I felt instantly comfortable and at ease. I don’t know the exact reason for this feeling. One thing which stuck to my mind was that Pders present were not bothered with PD and acted with assurance and confidence and this surprised and pleased me. The other thing which I noticed was the quiet, unspoken but visible intimacy between the Pders and their spouses. I know that I may be imagining things but one thing I am sure of was that Pders had the Parkinson’s personality which I know so well.
The high light of the meeting was the presence of one Pder who told us his experience with DBS which was inserted in his brain since 2005. The man was articulate and very pleasant and kept answering the flow of questions which fell on him. He said that DBS lifted him from the wheel chair to an almost an ordinary life. Personally, I was excited to meet in person somebody who undertook this frightful operation.
The meeting was managed skilfully by Harle who knows so much about PD.
Thank you PAS.

Last edited by imark3000; 10-16-2011 at 10:58 PM.
imark3000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sasha (10-16-2011)