View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Post Always one of my favorite topics . . .

I have posted about meditation before . . . I have practiced it off and on for much of my adult life. I have been practicing Mindfulness since getting PN. I really agree with David's assessment - it may or may not help with the pain, but it sure as heck is extremely useful for all aspects of my life, including how I cope with the pain.

It is kind of a funny thing - if you meditate with the conscious intention of reducing pain, you are most likely to either feel more pain or at best no benefit. I am often able to reduce my pain level through my practice, but I am would still like to find a way to have the effect carry over for a longer period of time.

Lupin: I do think you can learn Mindfulness by reading. However, I think if at all possible it is best to study in one of the weekly groups or attend extended weekend meditative sessions. I would really encourage you to see if you can find something like that to attend. As a final recommendation - my original Mindfulness instructor has made a couple of CD's with the basic techniques. He has an absolutely wonderful, hypnotic-like voice and is first-rate in terms of his ability to teach and model what he teaches in his own life. If you are interested, I can pass on info on how to get the CD's.

rafi
rfinney is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote