Old 10-17-2011, 12:42 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post

Shari,

I think the idea offered about requesting to audit a class is an excellent one.

Obviously, no one here can guarantee you that just one class won't be an issue on your review. I would think that doing one online class wouldn't matter to SSDI, but who knows....I think managing a full time course load, even if it is done online would be an entirely different situation. If someone can do 6 to 8 hours of coursework/homework 5+ days a week, I think it would be hard to prove you couldn't do SGA. I would think SSA would look at it differently if it was just one course because the workload would be so much less.

I'm in a similar situation. One night watching late night tv I saw a commercial for people who wanted to take graduate school classes online. I checked the website....name of which I forget right now, but it was tied to 'education connection' which has A LOT of ads for online classes and finding the right college. I took a pretest (like a mini SAT) and it told me I passed, that I'd be getting a call to arrange to take my first class for free, starting the next evening. I got the call....heard my phone answering machine pick up...heard them say, please call us back quick, the class starts tonight, but, could not get out of bed to get to the phone

I wonder if that's my "sign" that it was a dumb idea to begin with....

I don't know when the next class starts. I'm afraid to get excited about it and have it be something I can't do. I think if it's a matter of read 10 hours worth of stuff and answer a few questions by the next week, I shouldbe able to handle that....but if I need to be "on" on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5 to 10 pm, I don't see how I can make my body agree to be functioning during that timeframe. Sometimes, it WILL be functioning, but I can't guarantee that unless I spend days beforehand in bed. I KNOW this is procrastination, and I should call and find out what the requirements will be, but IF I find out I can't do it....that's just another dream smashed by my stupid crappy body.

Want to make a pact ? I look into my class if you look into your's ?
finz--that left message, just sounds like a sales tool. They're trying to get you "to act quickly" (impulsively) so you don't have time to research less expensive options! Most semester classes start in Aug or Sep and if it's a quarterly program, you won't have long to wait anyway.

Public colleges offer online classes at a fraction of the cost and the classes will be transferrable if you ever decide to switch schools.

My son insisted he wanted to attend a local, nationally known photography program while in high school. It used to have a great reputation. I was leary due to the expense and something just feeling "off" when reading their class schedule. The fact that they pretty much accept everyone was a big clue. I did an internet search and found out that there were lots of issues with the program. Many students had wracked up enormous debt ($100,000-200,000) and then had to drop out because there was no delay for their student loans payments till after they completed their degree like a normal college program. They then found out the units they had completed were not transferrable and if they had finished, many graduate programs wouldn't count their "degree."

He eventually ended up applying to three of the top public school programs in the country and the expense was a lot less, even out of state.

Please research former student reviews away from the school website! So many people go through University of Phoenix, and it is such a waste of money, when even out of state tuition will be cheaper in most cases.

I think it's wonderful to continue your education, but please procede with caution!
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote