Thread: Water Helmets
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

If you are still having bad head aches, you are at risk of Second Impact Syndrome. If your head aches are less of a problem, Second Impact Syndrome is less likely. But, Multiple Impact Syndrome would be ready to rare its nasty head and smite you across the face.

SIS is when the brain has not regained control of blood and fluid flow. This can cause an over-pressure of fluid to the point of brain damage and even death.

MIS is when the brain has been left sensitive to impacts. The threshold of minimum impact force to cause brain injury will be greatly reduced. For example, if it took a 80 G force to cause the first concussion, a later impact force of maybe only 30 G's could cause as much injury or even more. The weakened axons and other tissue injure and tear with much less force. For some of us, a simple shaking of the head can be problematic.

My thought is to choose the surf conditions and line-up very carefully. No wave is worth a further loss of lifestyle opportunities. No battling for a wave with other surfers.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote