View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 05:27 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Here is an article to read to help you understand what the items are on your list:

http://thyroid.about.com/od/getteste...bloodtests.htm

Propranolol is used to treat the SYMPTOMS of hyperthyroidism, not the actual thyroid itself. It slows the heart down by working on the conduction of the nerves in the heart that would be stimulated by too much thyroid hormone. Propranolol may block any SIDE effects by too much thyroid hormone during treatment.

I cannot evaluate your tests...that is for your doctor to do. Other countries report things in different concentrations as well, and I don't have the conversion for them to US units.

Some things in the body are self limiting. That means you may get "over" whatever it is. In that case if your thyroid issues are self limiting, you may not need treatment for life.

There is no perfect dose of thyroid that can be given. All are best estimates. When a person gets a slightly higher amount of hormone than needed, the pituitary/hypothalamus senses this and turns down TSH so the thyroid is depressed a bit to account for the externally given dose. This is called "feedback" and will reach a normal state in a short time and then you will be stable.

Some people reach this point in a year or so. Some others take longer. You have been started on the lowest dose. Perhaps that is all you will need. Only further testing will show otherwise.

Autoimmune disorders are different for each person. Some are mild and stop and others are aggressive and continue to damage you. There is no predicting as to what will happen in any particular case.

My test for antibodies was negative. But I did have a goiter on the right side only.

Some people with chronic autoimmune disease may have gluten intolerance. Fix the diet, and you may fix the autoimmune issue too.
We have a gluten forum here:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum13.html

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote