View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 09:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post

Shari,

I think the idea offered about requesting to audit a class is an excellent one.

Obviously, no one here can guarantee you that just one class won't be an issue on your review. I would think that doing one online class wouldn't matter to SSDI, but who knows....I think managing a full time course load, even if it is done online would be an entirely different situation. If someone can do 6 to 8 hours of coursework/homework 5+ days a week, I think it would be hard to prove you couldn't do SGA. I would think SSA would look at it differently if it was just one course because the workload would be so much less.

I'm in a similar situation. One night watching late night tv I saw a commercial for people who wanted to take graduate school classes online. I checked the website....name of which I forget right now, but it was tied to 'education connection' which has A LOT of ads for online classes and finding the right college. I took a pretest (like a mini SAT) and it told me I passed, that I'd be getting a call to arrange to take my first class for free, starting the next evening. I got the call....heard my phone answering machine pick up...heard them say, please call us back quick, the class starts tonight, but, could not get out of bed to get to the phone

I wonder if that's my "sign" that it was a dumb idea to begin with....

I don't know when the next class starts. I'm afraid to get excited about it and have it be something I can't do. I think if it's a matter of read 10 hours worth of stuff and answer a few questions by the next week, I shouldbe able to handle that....but if I need to be "on" on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5 to 10 pm, I don't see how I can make my body agree to be functioning during that timeframe. Sometimes, it WILL be functioning, but I can't guarantee that unless I spend days beforehand in bed. I KNOW this is procrastination, and I should call and find out what the requirements will be, but IF I find out I can't do it....that's just another dream smashed by my stupid crappy body.

Want to make a pact ? I look into my class if you look into your's ?

I think I'll take you up on that pact finz

During my appointment with my Neurologist yesterday I brought this subject up with him. I told him about the online program I'm interested in. He said, Of course he isn't a "Social Security Disability Claims Reviewer", but he didn't think that taking one course online at a time should have a negative impact on my SSDI claim. He flat out said that I'm still disabled and that l still cannot work in any capacity. All of his reports still support this and will continue to support my disability. He also said there's a big difference between taking one class online and being at the computer a few hours a week vs holding a full time job and working on the computer all day long in addition to other office duties (which was my previous occupation before I was approved for SSDI)

He actually encouraged me to look into this further because in his opinion it's always good to keep the mind occupied with something other than my disability.

I'm still investigating it but feel better about it now that I spoke to my Neuro.
Shari_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote