View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycapucine1974 View Post
Dr. Smith, you talked about hypogonadism in one of your previous messages in this thread. I am not sure if I understood you and the documents from your links right, but may I ask you if opioids can cause hypothyroidism?
I don't know the answer to that offhand. There may be something in one of the articles I posted or on the web. You might google: opioid hypothyroid

Quote:
what do you think about the pain killing effects of natural progesterone taken in capsule form, since again, my body is not making any?
"Pain killing effects" isn't exactly what's happening. Many people know about endorphins ("endogenous morphine"), which do act more like pain killers. Certain other hormones - those in the pituitary-adrenal-gonadal axis (the subject of the articles) - when suppressed or insufficient, allegedly elevate uncontrolled pain.

I have no idea about progesterone used in capsule form. Dr. Tennant's article: http://www.practicalpainmanagement.c...-2010?page=0,3
states:
Quote:
The author has received several positive reports on the use of progesterone used topically over pain sites. In some cases, it is being used under ultrasound or infrared light to achieve deep penetration into pain sites.
This whole subject is very complex and involved, beginning with pregnenolone and ending with estrogen/testosterone, with several intermediary steps (progesterone among them) - some going back and forth in different directions. I do not understand it all - just the gist - which is why it's important to have a doctor helping you through it all the way.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote