View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 06:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Just pay more attention? Of course! Why didn't I think of that?!?!

The title of the thread is meant to be very sarcastic if it wasn't obvious.

So the other day I was talking with my mom and telling her about how some of my cognitive symptoms are becoming more frequent. Such as: having trouble coming up with words I want to say, or saying the wrong word, like telling my cat he has food in his litter box (meant to say food bowl), or forgetting what I am saying mid sentence, ect.

I told her that it is getting to the point where I don't even realize I have said the wrong word, other people are correcting me. Her response? "Concussions don't last forever. You are getting better and you just need to focus more and pay more attention to what you are saying."

I felt like saying, 'Oh, just pay more attention? Why didn't I think of that before! Of course! My symptoms are just me being lazy. Silly me!'

She didn't say it to be mean. The vibe I got from her was kind of like 'get over it already' even though I know she didn't mean it that way and she doesn't feel that way. She just doesn't understand what its like and she never will unless she goes thru this. I shouldn't expect her to get it, so I shouldn't be hurt when she says something like that.

Anyways, I was wondering how everyone else responds to comments like that from your friends or family members. How does it make you feel, how do you deal with it?

Please feel free to use this thread as a place to vent about the ignorant comments of others.
RubyV is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamisue (10-20-2011)