View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 03:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have a question about B-12 and meds for acid reflux.

I know that PPI drugs like Prilosec interfere with B-12 absorption. So do acid reducers, like Zantac. Since I've found this out, I try to avoid taking anything but some Tums from time to time.

Anyway, in this past week my acid reflux has suddenly gotten really bad, out of the blue. Tonight I just couldn't stand it anymore and I had to take a Zantac. It really helped. I have spent the last several days having horrible reflux, belching, a lot of gas, and a tender bloated belly.

At what point do acid reducers like Zantac interfere with B-12? If I take my B-12 in the morning, and then wind up taking a Zantac 4 or more hours later, is that OK?

I'm very concerned about screwing up the B-12 level I have worked so hard to build up in the past few months.

As to the reason for the reflux -- I'm really not sure. In the past, antibiotics have caused it, and after a while it died down. But lately I have noticed that my lactose intolerance has gotten worse and my reflux has returned. I haven't been on any antibiotics for the past year. I'm avoiding most dairy and taking a Lactaid pill with any meal or snack that has any dairy in it. Even yogurt gives me a problem (it didn't used to).It has been rough. I tried drinking Kefir a couple of weeks ago (and took a Lactaid pill just in case) and boy, that did NOT agree with me. Terrible gas, really disgusting. I have read that Kefir is a wonderful pro-biotic, but maybe it's just not for me. I have no interest in trying to ferment my own, BTW.

My recent blood test included Celiac. Sometimes I wonder if these symptoms aren't part of something else. I'm tempted to see a naturopath to try to straighten out my digestion. Last year I had a colonoscopy (welcome to age 50, LOL) and it was 100% normal. The weird thing about the reflux is that it seems to come and go. For months things are perfectly normal, then all of a sudden it just gets bad for a while.

I appreciate your advice on B-12 and acid reducers, or any other insight you can offer.
zeeclass6 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote