View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

When I was a telemarketer (I took inbound calls for that junk you see advertised on tv all the time. This was about a decade ago)

We would get people calling in for whatever junk it was they wanted. After we read thru all the script for that piece of junk, we had to read thru the upsells, which were mostly buying/shopping programs. I hated reading those because I could tell thru the wording, that they were phrasing things to basically trick people into saying "yes". We had to read everything word-for-word.

There were times tho, when I would get someone that I could tell didnt understand. I usually tried to make sure I emphasized certain words in the script, hopefully in a way that would help the person I was talking to realize what I was reading and hope that they'd say "no" to it. (which sometimes after I entered "no" into the order screen, the stupid order screen would make me ask the caller to agree to the crappy upsell...sometimes two or three times. Occasionally the caller would get really...peeved...because I kept asking. (I'd usually tell them sorry, but I was required to ask)

Whenever I order things and I see buying programs or "special" memberships for some vague service, I'll cancel before completing the order.

Dej, try calling your credit card company now and see if there's any way they can stop the charges for the stuff they've apparently tricked you into. It's going to be really hard for you to cancel it. They intentionally make crap like that hard to cancel. They're counting on you either not noticing the charges, or that you'll think it's a good deal and you'll try it. (or that you'll give up on trying to cancel it and will live with them charging you every month for a useless service)

Next time, tell your son to go to a florist, pick out the flowers himself, and deliver the flowers to the girlfriend himself. Cheaper, you dont get all sorts of weird charges to your credit card for junk you dont need, and I bet the girlfriend thinks that it's more special.

Hopefully you can stop those extra charges from getting onto your card.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote