View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigogo View Post
MD - I went to an acupuncturist several times a few years ago, but had to stop because I couldn't afford it. She was also schooled in other forms of "non-traditional" medicine, and we had long discussions about how that tradition is non-linear and wholly inclusive. It took awhile before I could even begin to change the way I think about healing - my brain is so mired in Western thought patterns. I still don't entirely get it.

But it somehow seems right to me, especially since my PD dx 12 years ago. The way I experience PD in my body did not correspond with anything that was written about the disease, even though I had text book symptoms. I have been on a quest to figure out those contradictions, and explain it to anyone who will listen, ever since. I've found that MJFF listens best.

I figure that if it took me a long time to even try to begin thinking in a different way about healing (and I wanted to), it would take the entire Western medical establishment much longer - because they really don't want to change. They will continue to think their way for a very long time. And we have to work with it while trying to change it.

There is only so much a large foundation like MJFF can do to explode old ways and still raise money. They've had to be innovative within a framework - and just making those changes to the status quo - things like making study data public, sharing information, and researchers talking to each other across disciplines - are seen as rule-breaking, ground-shaking changes. They've also made end-runs around the glacial NIH grant making process. The results are positive for us, and I think have challenged a medical system based on competitive newtonian science.

I think the whole PD behemoth has pretty much come to realize there will be no magic bullet for many years - maybe never; that it is much more complicated than they thought; and that more attention needs to be paid to the general health and well being of those living with PD right now.

I drove through eastern Oregon last month - I should have stopped by for that margarita!

A long , long time ago I asked my father why we were spending billions of $$ to go into space when children starve here on our home planet. He answered, because achieving new accomplishments, doing the impossible propels us forward - and I realized that the intangible that holds infinite possibilities is worth striving for.

so yes, i get it. the MJFF is in a unique and challenging position to not be swayed by bias, to shoulder the huge responsibility of accomplishing their mission..and don't get me wrong, i believe their intent to be noble.

like Paula points out however, we already have technology....good technology...some of which (i.e. the integrative therapies mentioned previously)may not be as "profitable" to the business man because of its basic application that can't be controlled as it is fueled by source that can't be monopolized. Sort of like nuclear power vs solar...

nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come!!
md

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”
~ Nikola Tesla
moondaughter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bandido1 (10-28-2011)